SING STARK TO HOLD AUDITIONS FOR THE FOURTH SEASON OF VOX AUDIO, CANTON’S NEWEST A CAPPELLA SENSATION
Sing Stark announces auditions for the fourth season of VOX AUDIO, Canton’s newest a cappella sensation. Auditions will be held on Tuesday, May 31st from 4:00PM-8:00PM, and Wednesday, June 1st, from 4:00PM-8:00PM, at the Cultural Center for the Arts, located at 1001 Market Ave. N, Canton, OH 44702.
VOX AUDIO is Canton's first civic a cappella vocal ensemble of its kind. In their premiere season, this ensemble of local gifted talent, performed to nearly sold-out audiences at Glen Oak Performing Arts Center. Inspired by musical groups like the PENTATONIX and the PITCH PERFECT movie franchise, VOX AUDIO is an auditioned unaccompanied performance ensemble that uses tonal color, and imitation of instrumental sounds, beautiful harmonic textures, and beatboxing to explore the beauty and endless possibilities of the human voice.
Under the direction of North Canton native, Brian D. Kieffer, VOX AUDIO sings unaccompanied vocal charts derived from contemporary pop/rock hits as well as jazz arrangements from the American songbook. Receiving his undergraduate degree from Bowling Green State University and his master’s degree in choral conducting from Kent State University, Kieffer has taught at Glen Oak High School for 32 years. His vocal jazz ensembles have received numerous awards in national competitions as well as accolades and respect from experts in the field of vocal jazz. In addition to his work in Plain Local Schools, he is an adjunct fine arts faculty member at Malone University where he conducts the Women's Concert Choir, the Stark County High School Honors Choir as well as applied voice. He was most recently honored as "Outstanding Stark County Music Educator" by the Canton Symphony Orchestra.
AUDITION DETAILS and REQUIREMENTS
- Tuesday, May 31st; 4:00PM – 8:00PM
- Wednesday, June 1st; 4:00PM – 8:00PM
- Sing Stark office, located at 1001 Market Ave N, Canton OH 44702
- Requests for audition times can be made by registering for an audition time: Also please download the audition form, complete and bring to your audition.
- Those auditioning will be required to:
1. Sing vocalization exercises (as prompted by director) to demonstrate tone quality, range, flexibility as well as the ability to blend with other voices
2. Match (vocally recreate) pitches and sequences of pitches as played on the piano to demonstrate aural skills and intonation
3. Sing/perform 32 measures of a song without accompaniment
- One verse and One chorus are sufficient
- Choose any style that features the best parts of your voice; remembering that this ensemble is geared more toward contemporary styles of singing
4. For those interested in beatboxing, vocally improvise three stylistically different rhythmic patterns
5. For basses, improvise a "walking bass line" under a twelve-bar blues as played on the piano by director
- Group membership and audition results will be announced Monday, June 6th.
- Starting August 25th, rehearsals will be each Thursday evening from 7:00 - 9:30 PM (GlenOak H.S.)